October 25, 2012

Recipe: Nips Cookies

I live in a small town here in the Philippines. There's only 1 grocery store, a small open market, a handful of small shops. And I like to cook, more specifically bake. So I've decided I won't let my limited access to ingredients stop me, I'm going to work with what I have.

Today I baked some Nips cookies. Nips are candy-coated chocolates... the Filipino version of M&M's, if you will. I love M&M's cookies, but M&M's are a little bit on the more expensive side here. But Nips- they're super cheap. They don't taste the same, but the difference is subtle. You can even find Nips at your local Filipino mart or Asian market (in some, not all). So I decided to take a stab at some Nips cookies. This recipe, of course, can be substituted with your favorite candy-coated chocolates, or even chocolate chips. Either way, your tummy will be happy.




Nips Cookies
{Printable Recipe}

Ingredients:
- 1 Cup packed brown sugar*
- 3/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Cup butter, softened*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Cups Nips

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. (190 degrees Celsius)
2. Beat sugars and butter in large bowl on medium speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes*
3. Beat in vanilla and eggs
4. Beat in flour, salt, and baking soda on low speed
5. Stir in candies
6. Drop dough by teaspoon about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet*. Flatten slightly with a fork.
7. Bake until edged are light brown, 8-11 minutes
8. Let stand 3-4 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.

Makes 3-4 dozen.

*A couple of notes: I used muscovado instead of brown sugar. I also used 7/8 Cup of oil rather than the butter. When you mix the muscovado and oil together, the result is a thick, gooey, sugary mixture-- not a light, fluffy one. As you can see in the picture below of my cookies, they're not as fluffy. If you want them more fluffy, use butter. I also don't have an electric mixer and whisked everything by hand-- worked fine. Also, the recipe says to place dough on an ungreased cookie sheet, but after the first batch, they stuck quite a bit, so I had to grease my cookie sheet with the remaining batches. That actually made the cookies taste better.

Despite all my adjustments I had to do, and even though they don't look like the most appetizing things in the world, they still taste delicious! Especially with a tall glass of cold milk.


4 comments :

  1. Hello i just wanted to ask what difference between packed sugar and granulated sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The packed sugar is BROWN sugar. When you put it in your measuring cup, you "pack" it into the cup. The granulated sugar is just plain white sugar.

      Delete
  2. My cookie turn to cake :( The dough eventually melts :( what seems to be wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean "the dough eventually melts"? The environment around you is probably too hot (like, inside your house). Usually, that cake-like texture happens when the proportion of fat and liquid is disproportionate to flour and leavening agent (baking powder or soda). Try adding eggs in one at a time, make sure they're room temperature, and that you're using the right amounts of flour and baking soda.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...