March 10, 2012

1 week down, 50+ more to go!

I think I've never been so happy that the weekend is here! Our first week of teaching is over and it was . . . eventful?? We were busy, which I suppose is a good thing because it will make this year go by a lot quicker.

I've been sick- but I was feeling terrible on Monday and Tuesday, but still had to teach. In the mornings, I go to different kindergarten classes and sing songs, go over vocabulary, read stories and poems with them- so being sick didn't help me- but I got through it.

My Cherry class was a bit of a handful, I will admit. I get 6 at a time for half an hour each, and sometimes it feels like an eternity. I think the biggest problems are that they didn't have English names (until Friday) and there is a huge communication barrier. When I try to get them to do something or to listen- it's always a big deal because they don't understand me- even when I'm using simple language and a lot of hand gestures. And when they speak to me- they just go off in Korean. I just say "I don't know what you're saying, man..." and try to explain: "Leia teacher- English, no Korean..." lol. But they still continue. There's a few kids who just like to run around and think they're funny. And it doesn't help that I have the worst classroom- I really dislike it. It's really small and there's a huge table right in the middle, so it's hard for me to go around... all the other teachers have a big classroom and a carpet that the kids sit on. Another problem I see is that the material is way to complicated for a 3-year-old- which I don't want to get into right now.

I'm hoping and praying things will get better, and I believe they will as these kids are learning more and more each day. My Korean co-teacher is really good with them. I just wish I knew some Korean so I can handle them better (which I need to work on!! I've been so busy lately and neglecting my Korean studying).

In elementary, one class changed so now I have 2 2nd grade classes, a 1st grade class and a 4th grade class. There's a few kids in each class that like to act up- no surprise- but I can deal with it.

Anyways, this weekend Jason and I have just been home trying to get over our sickness. We were planning on doing a video of our apartment, but decided to do it when we're feeling better. So stay tuned for that.

This is the building where our school is. Who would've thought there was a school in there, right??
Jason's classroom. It's nice.
One of my Cherries.
Some of my other Cherries.
The view from my classroom.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...