January 27, 2014

Things I've learned since being Nashville

When I was in the third or fourth grade I did a report on Tennessee. Everyone in the class got to choose what state they wanted to do their report on. I can't remember why I picked Tennessee. But my theory is I chose it because I liked the stars on their flag and I really loved the song "Tennessee" by Arrested Development. Both are really plausible reasons. Either way, I did really well on it and got an "A".

Twenty-plus years later and I never would have thought I'd be living here. Shoot- I never thought I'd live anywhere east of the Rockies! But- here I am.

We've been living in Nashville for about 7 months now. And I've learned quite a few things since being here:



* How to spell "y'all" correctly. (before, I'd spell it "ya'll" -- silly me)

* The South gets really cold in winter. (this really surprised me. When I would think of "The South" I would automatically think hot and humid 24/7, 365. I never thought it snowed here. Boy was I wrong.)

* It rains... a lot! (it sure does! So much so it flooded us out of our house!)

* BBQ is better here. (BBQ in the South is the real deal-- so delicious and the best I've ever tasted!)



* Country music isn't all that bad. ( I think I'm coming around- but shhh don't tell J! I told him before moving out here that I could never like country music. But truth be told, I'm starting to tolerate it more and more the longer we're here!)

* Not everyone here has a Southern accent and wears cowboy boots. (To be honest- it seems like only the tourists wear the cowboy getups- just take a walk down Broadway and it's swarming with them!)

* People are a lot nicer here than where I come from - Southern California. (It must be the whole Southern hospitality thang! I like getting random "hellos"  and "good mornings" from strangers-- unlike in So Cal where it's all about people for themselves "stay out of my way" type of deal)

This is just the beginning of my learning list. I am sure it will expand the longer we're here!




post signature

4 comments :

  1. I was totally surprised by the cold and the rain too, but I think the craziest part of the weather is the window-rattling thunder! We don't really get that here at all, right? By the way, my state report was in Georgia, so I didn't quite get there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny, I'm guilty of saying 'ya'll' too! And also, I'm curious about the music...I imagine there's much more variety of the country music than is played on the radio ? Enjoy your adventures learnin' and livin' :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nashville is on my list of travel goals. I've had friends visit and they all say it's such a cool city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty cool city. I really like it here. If you ever do get a chance to make it out this way, let me know!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...