August 29, 2013

After the Flood: An Update

It's been three weeks since we were flooded out of our house. And after three weeks- we are still houseless, living out of motels. The house was unfit to live in (and we didn't want to live back in that house anyways!) and since we don't have family or friends here, we had to resort to the good 'ol weekly rate motels.

After this, I don't want to ever stay in motel for at least another 20 years...

The Saturday after the flood, we applied to some apartments that are really close to my work. The lady said we might be able to move in the following Monday. Yeah, that didn't happen. My husband went by last week, and they said we got into a townhome- BUT, we had to wait another 2 weeks before we could move in.

J went in again and they finally told us we could move in next Tuesday. Yay! FINALLY. But in the meantime we are still in a motel, my car (which we were able to get fixed, but put a huge dent in our wallet) full of our stuff.

Despite this huge setback, mostly financially, it's been a very humbling experience. And a really big lesson.

Most of belongings were affected. But luckily, my husband and I don't have much, it was just mostly our clothes and shoes-- which was fixed with a 3-hour trip to the laundromat. My car got fixed. My husband lost his guitar to the flood, but that's replaceable. At the end of the day, we were only stressing over material things. Sure, it really sucks. But what's important is that we're still alive. And that's worth more than any amount of clothes, guitars and cars. My husband has really helped me in trying to get over this whole situation, comforting me when I get too bummed out and/or stressed out about this all, and I do the same for him. Just being in his arms, hearing his gentle, comforting words makes everything better.

This has been a huge lesson to us-- that material things are worth nothing. Life is what's of utmost importance and the people in it that make it worth living.

I want to thank my family and friends for their support and concern. I also want to thank you guys who read my blog and left really touching comments. I really appreciate all the love. It makes my heart and soul happy.

post signature

3 comments :

  1. Thanks for the update. I'm sorry to hear you haven't gotten into a new place yet, but happy that it's just around the corner. I'm sure being in a hotel sucks. You guys have been such troopers and handled this really well. I hope your day is getting a little brighter:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no! I hate flood very hassle. sorry about your situation but be strong

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you are ok. I can only imagine the stress. You are handling this so calmly. Good luck with your apartment search!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...